Sunday, May 27, 2012

Entertaining angels, i.e. being in God's presence

On my journey, with a limited command of either Spanish or Portuguese, there have been countless people who have helped me in various ways. Whether pointing me in the right direction on the map, or where to turn, or explaining what the food on the menu is. After 11 hours and 3 flights, an elderly couple who don't speak a word of English helped me on two different buses on the way to find my hotel. Luckily they lived only blocks away. When Iberia sent my bag to the wrong city 50 miles away, an English woman helped me find the hotel with my bag as well as explained options of where to find a bus or a train to my next destination. A young Spanish couple explained the train system to me. A woman on the train helped me find my station by showing me her map. At the hotel the young Adriana listened to my day-long endeavor to find my bag and get back on the Camino. Since the Post Office was already closed on Saturday, I would have to carry 7 pounds of extra weight through to Santiago. She offered to go to the Post Office on Monday and mail my package and also phoned the hotel to give them a heads up. This morning when I finished my 12 miles, an email was waiting that she had to go to Santiago's airport and would drop my package off at the hotel. The owner of the Pension I an staying at tonight drove out and picked me up, thus sparing me from being soaked with rain. They remind me of Abraham's hospitality to his visitors, who turned out to be angels or manifestations of God. In each of these people I have experienced something special. The Camino is not just walking 50 miles, it is rather the journey of discovering beauty, grace, kindness, help and reliance upon others.

1 comment:

  1. The kindness I have found from others during travel has left a profound impact on me over the years. I still have memories of these little hits and pieces, smiles, gestures, helping hands that bring a smile to my face. Living in a city that sometimes feels complex, inmpersonal and fast, keeps me yearning for simpler pleasures far away. I suppose our international friends say the same thing when they visit the states? It's all relative I guess. But for me, I love travel because it's when I see the "angels" you speak of. Thank you for your insightful post!

    ReplyDelete