Wednesday, May 23, 2012

When plans fall through

I have learned when traveling that you have to allow for your plans to fall through. Yesterday I went to see a specific castle and it was closed, today I planned to take a boat tour to view flamingoes but the tours are cancelled. It was frustrating to plan a route and be disappointed in the end. However, I unexpectedly found a winery today that invited me to a castle tour and winetasting. It turns out that this winery and several others are owned by a man who left South Africa and moved to Portugal. He decorated his property both on the in and outside with exquisite art and sculptures. He bought a 400 year-old castle and is restoring it slowly to its former glory. I was also able to visit a tile workshop which produces single and patterned tiles, all painted by hand. Two unplanned blessings. My life didn't turn out the way I planned it either. Yet, the surprises and new opportunities have far exceeded the disappointments. My family is blessed that God has led us to the US and specifically to Los Angeles. Hopefully there are still numerous surprises and adventures waiting to be stumbled upon when plans fall through.

4 comments:

  1. Love this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Roche,

    Wonderful to hear of your journey and your comments are poignant and resonate with our experiences. Tricia did a piece of this path too and loved it, as have many of our friends here. Nearly all have raved of their experiences in a similar vein. When plans fall through...is a common topic, but your insights are powerful testimony to God's faithfulness. Thank you and my God continue to bless you on your path.

    Do think about coming by our way if Geneva should be on your path...or even close! We would love to see you! Silke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silke, Thank you for the invitation. I fly to Brussels tomorrow and then to L.A. next Wednesday. Roché

      Delete
  3. Beautiful the way life works out and how you understand the providence of God. God bless you in your journey. We can't wait to hear the juicy sermons that will be born of your experiences!

    Bless you!
    Cinthia Joyce

    ReplyDelete