Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Madrid ethics

The check-in clerk at the Hostal pulled the old European trick of the creditcard machine is broken. It worked a few minutes so now I have to pay cash. Just more unreported cash on which I paid city taxes.

Had crepe with Jamon (Spanish cured ham) and quesa. Too die for. Went to a butchery/restaurant where beers and Breadroll with meat is only Euro1. While waiting I felt first felt the one zipper of my daypack then the second one being pulled open. I immediately knew who it  was: 3 elderly women who made a hasy exit. They must have seen me withdraw money a few minutes earlier. I kept my eyes on them and quickly checked my bag. They did not have time to open the 3rd zipper where I kept my money, phone and camera. what a rule awakening and welcome!!
There are thousands if people walking the streets, having a meal or just enjoying the evening.  The police are everywhere because of several rallies against the austerity measures.


2 comments:

  1. Wow! Sometimes those old ladies aren't as old or lady as you think they are. I always carry my spending money in my front pocket and the rest in a money belt. NEVER in a bag. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! What an eye opener! Good thing your money was deep in your bag. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete